Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. There are clouds of uncertainty hanging over the national convention of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) a few weeks to the much-postponed exercise, following the failure of the party’s national leadership to write a fresh notification to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) within the 21-day legal window.
2. Some Nigerians in war-torn Ukraine have rejected the Federal Government’s offer to evacuate them, insisting that it was more dangerous to return home. While others have been evacuated, some of them who spoke in an interview yesterday, said they would prefer to find alternatives in Europe rather than returning to the country.
3. Former president of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, yesterday, denied sponsoring three presidential aspirants from the south, ahead of the 2023 general elections. He also insisted he has not endorsed anyone to run for the presidency next year.
4. Chairmen of the State chapters of the All Progressives Congress have thrown their weight behind a former governor of Nasarawa State, Adamu Abdullahi, to become the national chairman of the party. It was learnt that their decision followed the insistence of President Muhammadu Buhari that Abdullahi should lead the APC.
5. The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, is set to inaugurate a committee to renegotiate the 2009 agreement between the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities tomorrow (Monday). The committee is expected to turn in its report in six weeks from the time of inauguration.
6. The Department of Justice of the United States of America has declined comments on the planned extradition of suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari. The justice department, however, reiterated that Kyari is facing charges filed in 2021 which led to his indictment, adding that he would be offered legal representation in the US.
7. Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi has expressed displeasure over the pace of work on the Kaduna/Kano standard gauge rail line. Addressing newsmen in Kano during an inspection tour of the project, Amaechi said the Federal Government has done enough to mobilize the contractor, the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation, CCECC to begin work on the project.
8. As some individuals and groups continue to mount pressure on Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to contest for President in 2023, the Akarigbo of Remoland, Oba Babatunde Adewale Ajayi, has said Osinbajo knows the right thing for the country. Ajayi spoke in his palace in Sagamu while receiving a group of youths under the aegis of ‘Act Now’ who are asking Osinbajo to contest for the presidency in 2023.
9. Development professionals, together with the International Development Office in Nigeria, have expressed worry over the staggering N3.8 trillion debt servicing allocation voted in the 2022 budget expenditure. The development, experts said, represents 23 per cent of the entire sum for this year’s expenditure and 35 per cent of total revenue, noting that such deficit retards development in a country struggling to cope with real development needs.
10. A newlywed bride has been abducted on her way to her matrimonial home in Niger State. It was gathered that bandits struck when the victim’s family members were taking her from Allawa Community in Shiroro Local Government of the State to her matrimonial home in Pandogari town, Rafi Local Government Area.