Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta says the deadly siege by suspected militants in Nairobi has ended after all the attackers were “eliminated”.
Confirming an end to the security operation at Dusit during a televised address, Kenyatta said that 14 people had been reported killed and many more were injured, but that 700 others were safely evacuated.
He added that “every person that was involved in the funding, planning and execution of the heinous act” would be “relentlessly” pursued.
Gunmen attacked a compound in the Westlands district of Kenya’s capital on Tuesday, killing at least 14 persons though Kenya’s Red Cross said some 50 persons were still missing.
The Somalia-based militant group al-Shabab said it was behind the attack on the complex, which houses the luxury DusitD2 hotel.
It is not clear how many attackers there were, but Kenyan police chief Joseph Boinnet disclosed that “five terrorists” had been involved.
Two people believed to be linked to the siege were arrested following raids on properties on Wednesday.