Three killed following a shooting on a tram in the central Dutch city of Utrecht

0
398
Utrecht

Three people have been killed following a shooting on a tram in the central Dutch city of Utrecht, the city’s mayor says.

Nine others were injured in the incident, which police say appears to be a terrorist attack.

Police are looking for a 37-year-old Turkish man named as Gokmen Tanis and have warned people not to approach him.

Schools have closed and security has been increased while counter-terrorism police work to find the gunman.

Dutch anti-terrorism coordinator Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg told a news conference on Monday that they cannot exclude a terrorist motive,

He added that there had been shootings at “several locations”, but did not elaborate on where these were.

The tram attack happened at about 10:45 local time and one witness told local media that “a man started shooting wildly”.

Another witness said he had helped an injured woman with blood on her hands and clothes.